Friday, January 13, 2012

First Comes A McWedding, Then Comes A McNugget...

Also known as the story of how Ryan found out he was going to be a dad...

First, thanks everyone for the congrats! We're super excited for our newest addition in progress.

Ok, so where to begin. It was Tuesday night, October 11th. I was sitting down watching TV, while eating some of my husband's famous guacamole (no lie, I'd list that stuff in the top 5 reasons of why I chose to marry him...it's just that good). Then about 20 minutes later I realized I ate the entire bowl. Yup, 8 avocados worth of limey, tomato-y, onion-y goodness. A bowl big enough to easily feed, I dunno, about 4-6 people. Something was definitely up.

I decided to take a test for the heck of it. I wasn't really expecting to see anything because it was really early, so needless to say I was a bit shocked (albeit happily shocked) when I got a positive result.

I ran downstairs and made up some lie about needing to run into work and help set some stuff up for a pop-up event the next morning. This was not completely out of the ordinary, so the hubs actually bought it. Which is a complete surprise considering I am the world's worst liar. Like as in, I would do something wrong when I was a kid and then send myself to my room because I couldn't even lie about it. After patting myself on the back for not raising any suspicions, I jumped in the car and promptly called my friend Steph. She answered, and I'm pretty sure I said something along the lines of, "Oh my goodness, I took a test, blah, blah, two lines,  blah, blah, blah, oh my goodness..." Thankfully, she can read my mind, because any other person would have thought I was crazy. Lets analyze this for a second...

1) Yeah, I told my friend before I told my husband. Wife fail. But lets get real...there was no way I could safely drive my car without telling someone, and for the love of all things good in the world, I wanted to tell Ryan in a sweet way. So it was either a cute surprise, or a crazy wife running down the stairs blubbering incoherently about babies, and a broken car, and a broken computer. Yup, my car and my computer broke the same week we found out. Option one for the win.

2) My conversation with Steph was lacking any kind of normalcy, because OMG... BABY. Yes, this baby was planned, but nothing really prepares you for seeing those two lines. All of the sudden you are filled with intense joy, excitement, love and lets be real, equal amounts of anxiety. You think about cute little baby cheeks, while wondering at the same time if you ate too much deli meat that day. But, maybe that's just me and my neurotic tendencies.

3) Lets be honest. A wonderful girlfriend knows just what to say when you are blubbering and neurotic. They just get it.

So anyways, Steph calms me down so I can be a good motorist, and excitedly asks how I'm going to tell Ryan. Luckily, I had come up with this idea when babies were just a plan for the future, as I'm pretty sure coming up with something that day would have been a complete disaster. My plan had two components...McDonalds and Baby Socks. Obviously those two things go together...

Lets rewind 3.5 years to the day we got married. I believe I've mentioned before that my maiden name was a Mc name (McCoy if your curious. BEST. LAST. NAME. EVER. I still miss it...), and I married someone with another Mc name. Nothing like staying in the same place in the alphabet. Anyway, we jokingly referred to our wedding as the McWedding, and even served McDonald's hamburgers at the end of the night. See below for proof:


Yup, the card even says, "Thank you for coming to our McWedding."

We always jokingly referred to our future children as McNuggets, so I knew, whenever the time came, I would tell Ryan using a McNugget box. Properly calmed down (thanks Steph!), I made my way to Mickey D's and Marshalls (luckily, they were both in the same shopping center). After putting everything together, I made my way home and lied (again) to Ryan about picking him up some dinner since it was late, and I felt bad for having to run out and head into work. At least I'm a caring liar ;) 

I'll let the pictures tell the rest: 


 Holds a better surprise than any kids meal...


 Smells something fishy.


 Yay!


 A McNugget Special. 


I chose these socks because I like dogs, not because I think we're having a boy. 
It's actually a surprise baby, so we have no idea if it will be a he or she until June!

Needless to say Ryan was ecstatic. If you know my husband, than you know that being a dad is like the ultimate life long dream for him. He's total dad material....like t-ball coach, helping out with a science project at midnight, excited to do driving lessons type of dad. This kid is pretty darn lucky to have Ryan as their dad, if I do say so myself. 

And that is the story of how my husband found out we're going to be a family of 3. 

In case you are wondering, baby mcnugget is officially due June 19th. Ironically, that is the same day that my mom was due with me. I actually came a month early, on May 20th, and attended my own baby shower. I have a feeling that this baby is either going to follow in my footsteps, or do the opposite take it's sweet time and come in early July. I think I'll honestly be fairly surprised if I have a June baby. 

8 comments:

Aliya said...

Ok seriously? Cutest reveal to the Hubs EVER... much better than me storming out of the bathroom brandishing my p-stick like a machete... you totally win. And I really hope you at the McNuggets.. Preggos don't let good fast food go to waste!! hahaha :)

Edie said...

So thrilled for you! Being a parent is the most awesome experience. I know you will be an amazing Mom. Cant wait to follow your adventures! I will be thinking of you :)

Mrs. Classic said...

That's such a fun way to tell your husband! Congratulations!

BCBPTONHEEL said...

MY birthday is June 19th! :)

Ally said...

I accidentally posted that on my hubs google account. My birthday is June 19th!

Emily said...

Oh my gosh, Katie! So excited for you! What's your due date? So many blog babies -and a lot in June! - so fun! And love the McNugget reveal - adorable. Your McNugget and my McKiddle will be birth month friends!

Katie & Ryan said...

thanks everyone for the congrats!
@Emily...due date is June 19th...June is a crazy popular baby month this year it seems! Yay for birth month twins :)

Deviled Megs said...

Cutest thing EVER -- congrats!