Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Night Bullet Points

This has been a heck of a week...hence the lack of posts. So, here's a quick bullet point update:

- My sleep has diminished even more due to the hip issues I've been experiencing. Before, while sleeping in the recliner, I could get a good 4 hours of sleep before I had to move every hour. Somehow, this seemed to be enough to function normally.  Now there's no rest...just pain every hour on the hour (if not sooner), and zero sleep. 5 days straight of this found me a crying, hot mess, with a husband who had no idea what to do. My midwife suggested benadryl. I've been hesitant to take anything, as this has been an issue since week 15, so it obviously isn't going away anytime soon. I finally gave in last night, but no dice. I didn't sleep any better and felt like a zombie all day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Did anyone else take tylenol or something else for an extended period of time during their pregnancy? Ugh I feel so torn up about this. 

- The only way to describe the pain is to say it is like having an abscessed tooth in your hip. Of course, it only happens when lying on my side at night (obviously, because you know that's how you have to sleep during pregnancy). In the midst of my sleep deprivation today, I came up with the wonderful idea of seeing if I could sleep with an inflatable swim ring underneath my hip. Hence the reason my husband is now driving around Delaware looking for a place that actually sells inflatable swim rings... you know, in the middle of winter. I don't believe this trip is going to end successfully, but I'm super thankful to have a husband who is willing to try. 

- This week, our unborn child was referred to as "ornery" by one doctor and "strong-willed" by another. This whole pregnancy, I've said that I don't care if we have a boy or a girl (I truly don't, which is why McNugget is a surprise), as long as I get a nice, calm Ryan-like baby. Yup, doesn't look like that is going to happen. (I still love every ounce of you baby...even your ornery, strong-willed parts). 

- My mom always said that I was going to be paid back with a child just like myself. She loves to tell the story of the time I cried hysterically for 2.5 hours in bumper to bumper traffic on the way to the beach. Why? Because the bottoms of my shoes were scuffed. Yes, you read that right....not because the tops or sides of my shoes were messed up....but because the BOTTOMS were scuffed. Looks like she's about to get her wish. 

- My husband and VA friends laugh when I say hysterically. They also make fun of the way I say cherry, berry, banana, camera, and family. Liz Lemon actually said, "Do I say camera weird?" once on 30 Rock. I got a lot of text messages after that episode. Love that Tina Fey broke out the Philly accent. 

- There is a station in the area that plays really, really random songs all day long. They also love to play Men at Work's, "Land Down Under" at least 3 times a week. And my unborn baby....stinkin' loves that song. It's like dance party USA in my belly every time it comes on. I'm not really sure what this says about this child. Like will I need to buy Vegemite when it comes time for solids? Do they even sell Vegemite in Delaware? This is obviously something a rational person thinks about.


FYI this is one very odd music video. 

- Speaking of the land down under... this baby is positioned really low. As in I rarely, if ever, get kicks near or above the belly button. On one hand, this means no heartburn or kicks to the rib. On the other, I get frequent kicks *ahem* down below. Trust me, nothing will provide you with a look of shock on your face quite like that will. 

- We're headed to D.C. this weekend to catch up with lots o' friends and eat lots of yummy foods. We're going Oyamel for lunch tomorrow, Jaleo for dinner (as I've heard that the Jose Andres restaurants are good with food allergies), and then Busboys & Poets for breakfast on Sunday (I had the Mekhleme "Iraqi corned beef hash" last time I was there and it was delicious). I totally plan on making up for the 18 weeks of nausea and food aversions in one weekend. Challenge accepted. I'm also super duper excited to see so many friends we haven't seen in a while. Yay!

- On that note, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

Justine said...

Try tylenol PM I know that's okay to take, and I would do what you need to do at this point to sleep... I took tylenol once or twice a week my whole pregnancy bc of migraines, and my dr even said that in the third trimester I could take excedrin migraine on occassion for my really bad ones. I think at this point, getting sleep is most important. :)

Aliya said...

I was going to suggest the same thing as Justine! I didn't take it until later because I didn't have hip pain... but toward the end I remember one day having a meltdown in my parent's kitchen because I was just SO tired/uncomfortable and hadn't had a GOOD night's sleep for a week - 10 days so my mom gave me a Tylenol PM and it worked like a charm... Just don't take like 5 a day, haha... but one here and there for a good night's rest is ok... your body and baby need the rest, too!!

Hope you had a blast in DC this weekend!! xoxo

CSM383 said...

Tylenol PM is actually just tylenol plus the active ingredient of benadryl. If the benadryl didn't work well for you then tylenol PM might not either.

They make donut pillows for people who can't sit on chairs (like if they have a broken tailbone) so if you can't find a swim ring you might want to call a medical supply store to see if they have that special pillow.

Good luck!

Emily said...

My sleep's getting bad recently, too. Hang in there! Sorry about your hip pain! So to answer your clothes question, I'm not the most unbiased opinion b/c I pretty much like babies in onesies and pjs, but I had very little - a few clothes I was given at my showers, and 2 packs of white onesies (I ended up preferring Carters over Gerber, btw). Then we got a lot as gifts after he was born, and I liked shopping for my own baby clothes instead of feeling like I needed to put him in every outfit we were given.